MANHATTAN - Dan Quart is the best candidate to lead the Manhattan District Attorney’s office in this moment of crisis and recovery for New York City. The only candidate with a record of reform, not just the rhetoric of it, Quart has been a proven leader and reformer over the past decade in the Assembly. From leading the fight to hold police accountable and repeal 50-a, to repealing racist laws that fueled mass incarceration, Quart has demonstrated time and again his ability to build a fairer system for Manhattanites.
The only candidate with an established base of voters on the East Side who have re-elected him six times to the Assembly, Quart has answered to voters, and earned the trust of New Yorkers that he will keep their families safe while delivering reform.
When Quart says that he is the only candidate with a record of delivering a fairer and a safer system to New Yorkers of any candidate, he’s right. For example:
- Gravity knives: Quart fought for seven years, against two vetoes from the governor to successfully repeal a racist law that banned gravity knives. While these knives could be purchased at hardware stores, the law was used to arrest and incarcerate Black and brown New Yorkers.
- Sexual harassment: Quart was the first lawmaker to sign the Sexual Harassment Working Group’s letter calling for public hearings into sexual harassment and potential reforms. Quart then carried the letter in the legislature, despite pushback from his colleagues and pressure to drop the issue from more senior lawmakers.
- Police accountability: Quart was an outspoken opponent of Stop and Frisk in New York and he led the repeal of 50-a, one of the worst transparency laws in the country. He also worked to have bodycam and dashcam footage be released, and built a coalition to demand Cy Vance release his list of officers with credibility issues.
- Safer streets: Quart has advocated for years to pass laws that hold reckless drivers accountable. Our system shouldn’t allow dangerous drivers to continue putting the safety of pedestrians at risk.
- Worker protections: Growing up in a union household in subsidized housing in Washington Heights, Quart knows the importance of protecting workers and has always fought against unscrupulous employers as a lawyer and in the Assembly.
There’s no guesswork with Quart. Voters know his record, and they trust him to stand up for what’s right and keep their families safe as district attorney.
About Dan Quart
: Dan Quart is one of NYC’s top pro bono attorneys and a New York State Assemblymember representing Manhattan’s East Side. A Washington Heights native who grew up in subsidized housing with working-class parents, Dan was raised by a public school teacher and a social worker who taught him the value of public service. Since graduating law school, he has dedicated his career to standing up for tenants' rights and advocating for criminal justice reform.
As Manhattan’s next District Attorney, Dan will fight to end mass incarceration, hold law enforcement accountable for police brutality, and ensure that all Manhattanites feel safe. Learn more at DanQuart.com